Managing the quantity and quality of stormwater is required for construction site greater than 1-acre. The state is responsible for assuring proper stormwater management at all construction sites under the Clean Water Act. Non-compliance with this permit can lead to substantial fines and penalties that can dramatically impact projects.
Stormwater management includes both technical and institutional aspects, including:
- control of flooding and erosion;
- reduce sedimentation from running off of construction sites and into nearby bodies of water;
- control of hazardous materials to prevent release of pollutants into the;
- planning and construction of stormwater systems so contaminants are removed before they pollute surface waters or groundwater resources;
- managing and maintaining structural and non-structural controls throughout the project;
- inspecting these controls as required by the permit;
- closing out a permit when final stabilization of the site is complete;
- assuring proper maintenance of controls and providing long-term stormwater management after the project is finished.